Our Commitment to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
Perrigo has formally adopted the UN's Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), furthering Perrigo's vision: providing trusted self-care products to consumers through retailers, pharmacies and e-commerce channels.
On January 2016, the United Nations unveiled their 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and introduced 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). These goals aim to create equitable, just and sustainable societies by eradicating hunger and poverty, promoting education and good health, empowering women and girls, protecting the environment and promoting the responsible use of natural resources.
Whether through our focused giving efforts, our goals to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, or simply our business model and company vision, Perrigo has been informally aligned with the SDGs for years. By officially aligning with the UN's Sustainable Development goals, we are promoting Perrigo's self-care values.
Good Health and Well-Being
As a global consumer self-care company, Perrigo develops thousands of affordable products that enhance health and well-being, including nutrition, diabetes care and nicotine replacement (supporting SDG goals 3.2, 3.4, and 3.5).
However, the core of the SDG is about challenging a company to do more, so we challenged ourselves to go beyond leveraging the inherent social benefits of our business model. Two key examples include:
- Cash and Product Donations: $867,000 in cash and $1.5M in product were donated globally last year for healthcare.
- Employee Wellness and Safety: Includes formal wellness programs, tobacco-free campuses, and acknowledgement.
Due to the heavy reliance on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) within our industry and company, goal 4 is a natural fit for Perrigo. Our passion for education extends beyond just STEM, however. Two key programs include:
- Cash Donations: $1.35 million in cash was donated globally last year specific to quality education, including $347,000 in scholarships.
- Volunteerism: Partnerships with local schools and non-profits have created several impactful and unique Perrigo programs.
Perrigo does not tolerate any form of discrimination, and believes a healthy company means investing in its diverse talent. Our leadership is passionate about providing opportunities to recruit and develop diverse talent, as well as celebrating their achievements. Key programs include:
- Metrics and Reporting: People of color was added to our metrics this year, among others.
- Focus on Women: 49% of our global workforce are women.
- Supply Chain Engagement: Perrigo’s Supplier Code of Conduct prohibits discrimination of any form, and Perrigo’s Ethical and Social Compliance program audits factories in higher risk countries to this standard.
Responsible Consumption and Production
To ensure our self-care products are safe, high quality and affordable, Perrigo operations must support efficient manufacturing, with a close eye on conservation and waste reduction. This was formally acknowledged in 2016, when Perrigo implemented the Environmental Stewardship program. Two examples of this include:
- Environmental Stewardship Program: Perrigo set goals in 2015 to reduce energy, water and waste by 15% by 2020.
- Sustainable Palm Oil: Perrigo is committed to the sourcing 100% Certified Sustainable Palm Oil.
Perrigo recognizes that global warming and the associated climate change is a critical global issue, and we have created programs to understand and reduce our impact. Two examples include:
- Environmental Stewardship Program: Perrigo set a goal in 2015 to reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions by 15% by 2020, and is currently trending at 22%.
- Partnership and Reporting: Perrigo participates with the CDP for Carbon Reporting, and is actively disclosing and partnering with Walmart on the Project Gigaton initiative.